The Costco membership is a coveted privilege for many individuals, offering access to a wide range of high-quality goods and services at competitive prices. However, one common question many have is: “How old do you have to be to get a Costco membership?” This article seeks to provide an in-depth answer to this question, along with additional information related to Costco memberships.
The minimum age requirement for a Costco membership is 18 years old. This applies to all types of Costco memberships. However, a household card, which is free and attached to the primary member’s account, can be given to anyone over the age of 16 living at the same address as the primary member.
Age Requirement for Costco Membership
The minimum age requirement for a Costco membership is 18 years old. This applies to all types of Costco memberships, including Gold Star, Business, and Executive memberships. However, for household members, the minimum age is slightly lower at 16 years old. A free household card is available for anyone over the age of 16 and living at the same address as the primary member.
Types of Costco Memberships
Costco offers three main types of memberships:
- Gold Star Membership: This membership costs $60 per year and includes a free Household Card. It is valid at all Costco locations worldwide.
- Business Membership: This membership also costs $60 per year and includes a free Household Card. Business members can add Affiliate Cardholders for $60 each. This membership allows for purchases for resale and is valid at all Costco locations worldwide.
- Executive Membership: This membership costs $120 per year ($60 membership fee, plus $60 upgrade fee) and includes a free Household Card. Executive members receive an annual 2% reward on qualified Costco purchases (terms and conditions apply), additional benefits and greater savings on Costco Services, and extra benefits on select Costco Travel products.
Steps to Obtain a Costco Membership
Signing up for a Costco membership is relatively straightforward. Here are the steps:
- Choose the type of membership: Gold Star, Business, or Executive.
- Sign up for a membership either online, in-person at a warehouse, or by calling their Member Services.
- Complete the Membership Application by providing the required personal information.
- Pay the membership fee.
- After completing the purchase, you will receive an email with your new membership number.
- Visit a Costco warehouse with a valid photo ID to pick up your membership card.
Benefits of a Costco Membership
Regardless of age, all Costco members enjoy a wealth of benefits:
- Access to Costco warehouses and online shopping
- Risk-free shopping with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services
- Additional benefits for Executive Members
- Access to Costco Optical and discounted prescription drugs
- Lower gas prices at Costco Gas Stations
- Access to Costco Insurance Agency and other services
Restrictions and Limitations
While the minimum age for a Costco membership is 18, and 16 for a household cardholder, there are no age-related restrictions once you become a member. The benefits do not vary by age but do vary by membership type.
To sign up for a Costco membership, individuals are required to present a valid photo ID issued by the United States, Puerto Rico, Canadian Federal, State, or Provincial governments, or any valid passport. For a Household Card, proof of residence is required.
Costco Membership for Minors
A minor can be added to an adult’s Costco membership as a household cardholder, provided they are at least 16 years old. The household cardholder must live at the same address as the primary member.
As of now, Costco does not offer a senior discount on membership fees or in-store items. However, the wide range of benefits and discounts can make the membership worthwhile for seniors.
In conclusion, a Costco membership is an excellent investment, offering a wide range of benefits and access to quality goods and services. Whether you’re 18 or 80, a Costco membership can provide significant value and savings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my Costco membership in any country?
Yes, your Costco membership is valid at any Costco location worldwide.
Can I add a friend to my Costco membership as a Household Cardholder?
No, Household Cardholders must live at the same address as the primary member.
What happens if I lose my Costco membership card?
If you lose your Costco membership card, you can visit the membership counter at any Costco warehouse for a replacement. There may be a small fee for the replacement card.
Can I get a refund on my Costco membership if I’m not satisfied?
Yes, Costco offers a risk-free 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with your membership, you can cancel at any time and receive a refund of your membership fee.
Can I shop online at Costco without a membership?
Generally, you need a Costco membership to shop online. However, non-members can shop on Costco.com with a surcharge.